Monday, January 4, 2010

God's Vision for Our Life

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing perfect will." - Romans 12:1-2

As you know, this last year, I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I have been born anew through Jesus. "I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." (Galatians 2:20). Isn't it awesome, me who was so mired down in sin, has been born new in Christ through nothing other than his almighty Grace.

I also know that God wants me to work for his good. My life is no longer my own but His to do His will. I am to offer myself as a sacrifice. But what does that mean? Where do I start? How do I go about my daily life and live for God?

I find myself consistently praying for God to show me what it is He wants me to do, how He wants to use my life. I am so ready, so eager, I just need His vision for my life. Where do I start Lord, I am ready to go!!

He has given me direction and guidance but I have felt like it is all too slow. I am ready now, fill me up Lord and send me out!! However, in the past few weeks, God has been making it very clear to me that I need to slow down and take this one step at a time.

I have come to understand that God does have a vision for my life, for all or our lives and He wants us to actively ask for that vision. As he tells Jeremiah in Chapter 33, verses 2-3, "This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it - the Lord is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'"

God does give His vision to those who ask. However, you must first learn to ask from a place of selflessness. God won't give us great and mighty things if we seek them for ourselves or our own good. God wants us to have a passion for delighting in Him. "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4). Many times the things we think we want to do are more for ourselves than for God.

In asking for my vision, I need to understand that most of God's bidding doesn't happen quickly. He requires us to be patient and stand firm making sure our ways are right and true and the vision can be properly fulfilled. "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him:" (Psalm 37:7); "Wait for the Lord, be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:14). This is very hard for me. I feel like I need to be doing something right now, since I was 42 when I was saved, because half my life is already gone. However, God has shown me repeatedly it is more important to slow down, learn, and grow in Him, than to proceed with reckless abandon.

God's vision for our life does not come cheaply. Many times it will require great sacrifice. I believe God gives us our vision more slowly to make sure we are fully prepared to do His will, not ours. We don't get choice A, B, and C. This isn't "Let's Make a Deal." God has a plan for all of our lives and He will reveal it if we ask. But we need to be prepared to accept it, even though it might be hard and a bit scary.

"Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." (Joshua 1:7-8)



Even though I know God has plans for me, I know I need to wait for Him to guide me at every step. I will continue to ask Him to show me everyday, but I will patiently wait for my right next step to be revealed, learning everything I can in the job He gives me today. For the Lord will trust us with the big things, once we have proven we can be faithful with the small tasks.

"Lord, You know the desires of my heart, You know I want to know what it is You have planned for me and I can be impatient in waiting for Your direction. Thank you for reminding me this is Your plan, not mine. Help me to remain steadfast in Your word, learning with each new task I am given and not always looking for the next. I do want to do Your will, I just need to be reminded to slow down and wait for You. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment