"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will." - Romans 12:1-2
Did you make a New Year's resolution? Maybe to lose weight, get fit, be better organized, etc. Whatever it might have been, how is it going? I don't know about you, when I make resolutions, I usually start out strong but quickly fall back into the bad habits that make me want to change in the first place.
This year, my first new year as a "saved" christian, I asked God to help me with my resolutions. First, I wanted to consistently spend time in His word, learning as much I as can so I will be ready when called upon for His service. I also asked God to help me rid myself of the need to receive acclamation from others. I have a bad habit of needing to validate myself with other's good opinions. If I don't receive it, I feel less than adequate.
My resolutions might be different than yours. However, whatever the resolution, change can only take place by changing minds. I don't know about you, but I know change doesn't come easy and it is going to take help outside of myself. I spent 42 years forming ungodly habits, change is going to take a lot of help from God and the Holy Spirit within me.
Thank God we have His word to help us and show us how to do it. We need to constantly ask for His help to plant seeds of change. First, I have prayed for Him to reveal my problem, asking Him to clearly show me where I am messing up. Be ready, because when you ask, He is going to show you!! But what a blessing it is to be able to see it so much more clearly than you can on your own.
Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
Second, now that God has shown me the areas my thoughts need to be changed, I have asked Him to renew my thinking. To help me to bring every thought captive unto Him. God is teaching me to choose a new way of thinking and giving me strength to deal with and set aside my old nature.
Ephesians 4:22-24 "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."
Romans 8:5-6 " Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of a sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;"
Next, I have asked God to turn my bad habits into good habits, Godly habits. I have realized I need to feed my thoughts with His word. The more time I spend in the word, the more my thoughts turn to Him. I find myself asking "would God be proud of this thought or that decision?". God wants us to concentrate on things worthy of our time, not the things of this world. Be careful where your mind wanders!
Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."
Finally, I have asked God to seal in me His promise. His promise to give me His Holy Spirit that will dwell in me and give me the strength to overcome the thoughts of this world. With His power all things are possible and we can seek the heart of God.
1 Corinthians 2:9-11 " However, as it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him' but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."
1 Corinthians 2:16 " 'For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?' but we have the mind of Christ."
As daunting as changing any of our old habits might be, isn't it awesome to know you have the power of the Spirit on your side. For with the Spirit all things are possible. Submit your habits to the Lord, ask him to help you change, to show you the way to live as He wants you to, in His will. Guess what, He will be so happy to comply!!
Lord, thank you for loving me so much, for being there to help me overcome my bad habits of this world. Continue to strengthen my resolve through your Holy Spirit. Give me the strength to change and do your will - your good, perfect and pleasing will. In Jesus name, Amen.
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment