Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jesus - Politically Incorrect, Why?

"'The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,' that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." - Romans 10:9

I am sure all of you have seen or heard the Brit Hume controversy. In his role as Fox News Contributor, Brit Hume, on national TV said that he felt Tiger Woods should convert to Christianity to find redemption through Jesus Christ. The audacity. How could he dare to utter the name of Jesus on national TV and dare further to suggest that Tiger could find forgiveness in the Lord Jesus Christ!

He has taken a lot of heat and received threatening emails. However, I saw him on Bill O'Reilly stating he was glad he said it and hoped somehow Tiger heard it or someone else got to him with the redemptive message of Jesus Christ.

God Bless you Brit Hume!! I didn't know his story prior to this, but Brit Hume's lost a son to suicide and that tragedy solidified his Christian faith. He has been in the pits and Jesus was his salvation! Who better to minister to Tiger Woods?!

As I watch other things in the media, how they cut off Colt McCoy's interview right before he starts to dare utter the fact that Jesus is his Rock and strength. Why is the world so scared to hear the name of Jesus. When did it get so politically incorrect to publicly state you have been "saved" or "born again"? Why are people so afraid of these things?

Fear comes in not knowing. I was the same way. I used to think people who talked openly about Jesus and being saved or born again where zealots. I was a bit nervous to be around them. I had no idea the bible actually used those terms ("Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 10:13; "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17). I certainly had no knowledge of the absolute grace of God. I used to think if you lived a relatively good life, didn't sin too badly, you would go to heaven.

I believe people find some kind of comfort in that last statement. In their ignorance to the true word of God, they don't have to give up some of their worldly pleasures to have salvation. If they are relatively "nice" people and their sins aren't out there for the world to see, then everything will be OK. Ignorance is bliss. I was like that too.

It can be very scary to think about shining God's light into every nook and cranny of your soul when you don't know the word of God. Shameful to admit the things you are hiding. It isn't until I actually read His word that all the ignorance, breeding both fear and bliss, was lifted and I understood the awesome grace and redemptive power of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21;"For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trust in him will never be put to shame.'" Romans 10:10-11

So, we know people are afraid to hear the message of Jesus Christ's saving grace. Their fear comes from not knowing the word of God. We know if we stand up and proclaim His glory we will be ridiculed and admonished just as Mr. Hume was. However, we are also charged to do it. As the "saved" and "born again", we are compelled to proclaim the word of God, to give them the knowledge they lack so they can understand and have a chance at salvation.

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless the are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news'." Romans 10:14-15

"All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us." 2 Corinthians 5:18-20

Examine your heart. Look around. Are there people you know who are living a lie? Who need to hear about the redemptive power of Christ? Will you be brave enough to stand up and declare the name of Jesus, giving them hope for a future, salvation for eternity?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Have you stood up in the name of Jesus only to be ridiculed and put down? Do you think as I have heard so many times "religion is a personal thing"? Share with us your stories and thoughts.

Lord, thank you for sending your Son, Christ Jesus, to take on our sin and pay the final price for our salvation. Thank you for allowing me to be born again through the blood of Jesus. I am saved and not of myself but purely by your Grace. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Give me the strength to stand in a world who is afraid to hear Your message. Help me to proclaim Your word so they too might find peace in knowing we are all made new through You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment