Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Biggest Loser

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40: 29-31


My favorite TV show started a new season last night....The Biggest Loser. I will admit, I am addicted to this show and I generally go through several Kleenex in the two hours it is on. The stories, struggles, everything these people face always amazes me. They are people who are crying out for help, putting themselves out their for the world to see, in hopes of changing their lives.

Last night, they arrived at the ranch, eleven couples, and were immediately taken to the gym for a challenge. They had to ride stationary bikes the equivalent distance of a marathon (26.2 miles) and the two teams that came in last were going home!! These people who were leading obese, sedentary lives, are thrown immediately into a grueling physical challenge the outcome of which meant staying and being sent home immediately. Can you imagine the fear and doubt they must have felt?

The remaining nine teams then spent their first week at the Ranch. Trainers Jillian and Bob working them harder than they had ever worked in their lives, getting right in their face exposing all their insecurity and fear. All of this, knowing at the end of the one of them would not measure up and be sent home.

These people who have never believed in themselves, who have been pushed down and ridiculed by those around them, would have to stand ready to get on the scale. Each knowing the scale doesn't lie....it is the mirror to their soul...Have they conquered the fear and self doubt? Have they overcome? Did they do enough to stay and continue their journey?

Last night, most of them lost an enormous amount of weight in the first week, 15, 20, 30 Ibs!! As they cried their tears of joy I cried with them and for the first time, as I sat their totally engrossed in their struggle, I finally related. I finally really truly got it. I am just like these contestants.

Now any of you who know me out there, hang on and hear me out. For those of you who don't, I am one of the fortunate few who is blessed with good genes. I can eat just about anything, work out very little and still wear a size 4. So, me saying I can relate to the contestants of the Biggest Loser sounds a bit crazy.

However, last night it finally hit me. I have been on my own Biggest Loser Ranch for the past six months, slowly getting rid of all my excess weight, my lonely messed up sinful past. God and the bible has been my Jillian and Bob, putting it all right in my face, forcing me to admit to things I didn't want to and wasn't proud of. Learning to flex my spiritual muscles and learn a whole new way of life and finally standing on that scale to see how I measure up.

None of us are very different. Sure we come in all shapes, sizes, colors, genders, but we all face our own demons. We all have excess weight to shed. We all have to face a scale at some point in our life. The scale to our soul. The question is, will we have enough courage to face what we see, to take up the challenge of really changing our lives. Will we submit to God's will and change our destiny forever?

What I call my "salvation" chapter in the bible is Psalm 118. The first time I picked up my bible after crying out to the Lord for help, I turned to that Psalm, which spoke directly to me and where I was in my life. The verse that came to mind last night was from that passage....

"I was pushed back and about the fall, but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and my song he has become my salvation." - Psalm 118:13-14

As I watched those people fight to change their lives, I realized we are all in the same boat. We all have to fight the pressures of this world everyday, exercising our relationship with God. We have to stay focused and keep our eye on the prize....eternal life with our Lord and Savior.

Lord, thank you for giving me the strength to meet the challenges of today. Thank you for being my strong tower, for not letting me fall. Keep me strong and energized, ready to meet each challenge that may come my way, with you by my side. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. Courage to make the changes really is what it's all about. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so honestly!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete