"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -- Jeremiah 29:11
What was the best Christmas gift you ever received? Was it a bike, a doll, a video game, a ring?" I used to think the brand new ten speed I got when I was 9 was the greatest gift I ever received. You see, my childhood as the daughter of a bi-polar father was up and down. Sometimes we had, and sometimes we didn't.
The year and a half prior to that Christmas had been rough in my family. My Dad was in a depression cycle. We had moved to Mobile from Birmingham for a great job. It didn't last long...six months into our new home in Mobile, we had lost our house and moved into a little apartment, all seven of us!!
I had the greatest purple bike with a banana seat. I loved that bike. I used to ride it all the time. Well, we had a bully in the apartment complex and one day he took my bike and broke it, beyond repair. I was heartbroken. Even at that young age, I knew we didn't have the money for a new bike.
Over the next year, life was tough, my Dad stayed in the bed most of the time. We didn't have much. However, I really wanted a new bike. I knew my only hope was Santa. Would he bring me a new bike? Maybe if I was good enough...I hoped.
By Christmas morning, life was better, we had moved out of the small apartment and into a house. When I woke up Christmas morning, I rushed to the living room and stopped at the door. What if Santa hadn't brought it? I was no stranger to disappointment. I hoped...I peeked in and there it was. I think that was the happiest I had ever been...my hope didn't disappoint!!
I look back on that Christmas and smile, the innocence of a child, placing all her hope in a man (Santa) she had never seen.
Now, as a newly saved Christian, I feel the same way. After so many years of suffering alone, I have been given the enormous gift of hope. Hope in Jesus Christ. Hope that everything will work out for good. Hope that I will see my deceased loved ones again. Hope of eternal life with my Lord and Savior. A hope that doesn't disappoint!
I equate my feelings of elation with the child like-thrill of that new bike. Out of despair, I am new again with the hope of a glorious and blessed future. All because God sent His Son to become man, to become sin so that we could live and have hope...Amen.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." -- Romans 5:2-5
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment