Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Isn't Merry For Everyone

"The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ." -- 2 Corinthians 4:4

With the commercialism of Christmas, we now rush around to spend some $450B on a holiday that has gotten far off track from the celebration of our Savior's birth. In the rush to get everything done, all the presents, food, lights, it easy to see why for many, this is not a joyful holiday. Many people suffer from disappointment, hurt, bad memories, loneliness, depression, and anxiety.

Last December 17, my Mother went into the hospital for a heart cath. During the procedure, she coded and they performed emergency open heart surgery which she barely survived. She made it out of surgery and we spent our holiday season with my Mother in ICU, not knowing from day to day if she would make it or not. She never woke up and died on New Years Eve.

I remember going through the motions of Christmas last year. I remember, at times, just wanting to yell out, stop this madness, my Mother is dying!! There was no holiday cheer for me or my family. I wonder just how many people are out there, feeling the same way. No holiday cheer for whatever reason. Maybe they lost a loved one during the holidays or they have lost their job or they just don't have the means to give the gifts expected. Whatever hurt or affliction, they aren't feeling the Joy of Christmas.

I am deeply saddened for those people. They are allowing something worldly to steal their Joy. The god of this world is working very hard to take away our Christ of Christmas. The god of this world looks to put hurt and despair in the hearts of God's children. ("the whole world lies in the power of the evil one" 1 John 5:19). I allowed it to happen to me.

For you see, if we remember what Christmas really is....remember the Christ of Christmas...we would know we are never alone, know there is no hurt He can't heal. If we let go of all the glitz and glamour of the commercial Christmas, and remembered the gift of our Lord and Savior, there is no pain, no sorrow, no disappointment, no memory, no loneliness, no depression and no anxiety we could not overcome. Jesus was born into our world to shine His light on all our darkness. If we believe that and have faith in His grace and our Salvation, then no god of this world could ever steal the Joy of Christmas.

I know many people think I should be sad this Christmas....since my Mother died during the holidays. I have had people very kindly ask if I am getting through it OK. I think perhaps they are taken aback when I say I am FANTASTIC!! For you see, this is my first real Christmas. The first Christmas when I truly get the story. My first Christmas as a born again Christian. I feel joy like a child. I can't be sad, this is the celebration of the birth of my Lord and Savior. I want everyone to feel like I do....to know, really know and understand what this all means.

The only sadness I feel is for those people who don't get it yet. Who haven't accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior, the ones who are still stuck in the sadness and desperation of a holiday that doesn't make any sense to them. I would love to reach each and every one of them and give them the greatest gift I have ever received...Jesus Christ!!!

"God, who said, 'Light shall shine out of darkness' is the One who was shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." -- 2 Corinthians 4:4-6

Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you for the gift of Your Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for opening my eyes to the true joy of Christmas. Help me to shine brightly for You. To show others the true Christ of Christmas so they too can overcome their hurt and have a very merry Christmas. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment