"Stand at the crossroads and look, ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." - Jeremiah 6:16
"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth" - Matthew 5:5
As you know, I have declared to give up worry and anxiety for lent and forever. It isn't an easy task in this world, with all the pressures we face, not to worry and not to be anxious. I have found it an almost impossible task. As much as I try, circumstances still cause me to worry, to be anxious.
God has finally opened my eyes to the recognition I can never accomplish this goal on my own. More specifically, it is the fact that I try to control the circumstances which actually causes the worry and anxiety. The only way for me to release these things is to realize I must totally submit to God. I must place all my trust in His sovereignty. He rules and reigns over EVERYTHING including MY LIFE!!
Through the study of His word, I have discovered the peace I am looking for only comes from Him and only by understanding what it means to be meek, humble, gentle...to have complete poverty of spirit. To put all my own thoughts, ways, desires and will under the complete control of my Lord and Savior.
What does meekness mean? Many people equate it with weakness, which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, meekness is power under control. Literally defined, meekness is an attitude of heart that prostrates itself before the throne of God's sovereignty in faith's submission to the will of God. It is a pliability; it means not resisting God's will, not fighting against our circumstance, not retaliating when we feel wronged. It is a recognition of God's sovereignty, a recognition that brings rest and peace, for we understand God rules us and not our circumstances.
When we stop fighting against the circumstances, the things of this world and realize we need to submit to the will of God and to totally trust Him to take care of us, then we finally are released from the worry and anxiety that comes from our trying to manipulate the external circumstances of life. As the Jeremiah verse above reminds us, we must always ask God. If we do, he will give us the answers. he will never lead us down the wrong path.
As we read this past week, there are many instances where God commands us to "be strong and courageous" or "do not worry" "do not be anxious", all of those are preceded by His promise to give us strength, to never leave us, to give us peace and rest. As Matthew 5:5 says "the meek will inherit the earth". Wow, what a promise. And let me ask you this, Has God ever gone back on His word? Our God is faithful and if we follow Him and acknowledge Him as our sovereign Lord, He will give us everything He has promised.
There is so much scripture on what it is to be meek and humble. I urge you to use your concordance and study it for yourself. I believe you will be richly rewarded for the time spent.
"He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way. All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of his covenant." - Psalm 25:9-10
We will cover more next week looking at Moses and Jesus as examples of humility and the gifts we receive by humbling ourselves to God.
God Bless!!
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment