“ 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” Hebrews 12-2-3
I will tell you, Hebrews 12:2 is a verse I recall often. In my efforts to overcome the feelings of this world, I often find my self quoting this verse in my head, a circling of the horses so to speak.
These last few weeks have been rough. I have been enduring some trial I would rather not have to face. Struggling to stay focused on God, to draw close to him for strength, I have been unable to release the worry and the feelings of anxiety. To be frank, I have felt like He wasn’t there. I kept looking at my circumstance trying to figure out quickly what it was He was trying to get me to understand, so it could stop!
Then, as I was studying my Pastor’s sermon notes on Sunday evening, I was reviewing 2 Corinthians 4, specifically the last paragraph. Just then my heavenly epiphany came in a seemingly random question from my husband. As I answered him using Hebrews 12:2 as an example, I stopped in my tracks. All of a sudden, I understood the lesson God was trying to get me to understand.
I know for certain God used my husband’s question to make me stop and look at what I was reading in relation to the verse I use so often to cope with the struggles of life. He brought all the things I had been reading the past few weeks together in one moment of clarity and there was no doubt it was Him doing it.
So, what was the big break through?
Let me try to relate what finally came to my understanding in an analogy we are all familiar with. Most of us have experienced the joy of a babies first steps. If you haven’t yet, I am sure you have seen it. One parent holding the baby in a standing position, the other a few feet away urging the child on, “come on, come to me, you can do it, come on”.
In that moment, what is the baby doing? The baby is solely focused on the person in front of him or her. He is smiling and looking at the person who loves him waiting to wrap him in there arms with hugs and kisses. He isn’t looking down at the path his feet are going to take. He just wants to get to the smiling, loving face of his Mom or Dad whom he trusts.
That is exactly what God was trying to get me to understand. Fixing our eyes on Jesus should allow us NOT TO LOOK DOWN. I was looking at my path, trying to figure out the right and wrong steps and stumbling all over the rocky path. My focus wasn’t truly on Jesus, the author and perfector of my faith, I was worried about the path. Jesus didn’t focus on the pain he was going to endure. His focus was on the end result, the will if the Father. He endured his rocky path joyfully focusing only on the end, His Father. He knew his short scary walk would lead to His rightful seat next to His loving, faithful Father.
As I type it out now, it seems so obvious but I was missing it. God had to remind me NOT to look at the path, to show me exactly what he meant when he instructed Paul to write “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus”. We are to trust Him fully and He will make all our paths straight (Proverbs 3:6). In my moment of Godly clarity, I looked back down at the passage I was studying before the fateful question which prompted my answer from Hebrews 12. I read the following:
“16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Wow, when God wants me to get a point, he really drives it home. Of course, He knows how hard headed I am! So, today, I am living with my eyes looking ahead to Jesus, not at the troubles on my path. I am trusting on the seen, knowing God will take care of the rest. Whatever “light affliction” I might encounter will only be temporary, so I wont lose heart or my focus. What an awesome promise from a faithful God.
“Lord, I thank you for loving me so much to teach me the lessons I need to learn in Your word. You are a loving, faithful, perfect parent who will never let me fall. Help me to always remember to focus on You and not the rocky path I might be on. Help me to endure ALL with the joy of knowing my eyes are always on You and Your promise of our eternal reward. In Jesus name, Amen.”
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment