Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Believing God

Mark 9:14-24 (New International Version)

The Healing of a Boy with an Evil Spirit

14When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them. 15As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him.
16"What are you arguing with them about?" he asked.

17A man in the crowd answered, "Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not."

19"O unbelieving generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me."

20So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.

21Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood," he answered. 22"It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

23" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

24Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"



Have you ever noticed the words believe and faith are almost exclusively New Testament terms. They occur almost 550 times and possibly constitute the single most frequent command or instruction in the New Testament. You might think, given it's prominence in scripture, it would be one of the most understood concepts in Christendom.

However, I think most of you will probably agree this is not case. In fact, my thoughts are Jesus knew how hard it was going to be. He knew we would have great difficulty relinquishing control and truly submitting ourselves to him through faith. He knew we would need constant lessons and instruction on living in faith and believing Him. He knew we would need His help. The story in Mark points it out beautifully, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

The Greek word for faith is pistis (noun) and believe is translated pistevo, which is a verb. The true translation of believe is far meatier than our simple translation gives credit. The word believe (Greek verb "pistevo"), means adheres to, trusts in, relies on, clings to. It truly is an action word.

As I am learning in my spiritual walk it is one thing to "believe in God" but truly another to "believe God". I think Jesus, in His many admonitions for us to "believe" and "have faith", was recognizing our human nature which makes it hard to turn the noun of faith loose allowing the verb of belief to rule our lives. We are going to need Him and His power to walk out belief and it is OK to ask for help in this area to admit we are weak. He wants us to ask Him to help us overcome our unbelief and He fully intends to give you the power to do it.

Take comfort in knowing, He understands our need for help. He gives us the reassurance of this in Ephesians 1:18-20:

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead."

The awesome truth is, God wields "incomparably great power" for those who choose to believe. If you have just a little faith He will amplify that in His mighty power to enable you move mountains (Matt 17:20; Matt 21:21). God gives us the same power He used to raise Jesus from the dead. With power like that, nothing is impossible!!

Take this lesson forward with you today. Ask God to use his word to overcome whatever stronghold is crippling your life and keeping you from living it to the fullest in Christ Jesus. Share this note with someone who might need a word of encouragement to overcome a stronghold in their life.

Next we will look at the freedom which comes from believing God (notice I didn't say "believing in").

Blessings all!!

"Father God, Your Word declares that we, Your people, are Your witnesses and Your servants whom You have chosen, that we may know and believe You and understand that You are He. Before You no god was formed, nor will there be one after You (Isaiah 43:10). You have chosen me, God, for the express purpose of knowing and believing You. I can't really begin to know You until I choose to believe You! Make me a person of belief, Lord." (prayer taken from Beth Moore's Praying God's Word)

No comments:

Post a Comment