John 11:25-26
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
I would venture to guess we all know the story of Lazarus. Jesus standing at his tomb and stating "Lazarus, come out!" (John 11:43) and out came a man who had been dead for four days. A grand miracle performed by the Son of God in front of many witnesses.
I think, however, the real message in the story of Lazarus to born again Christ Followers is not the miracle itself but the story leading up to the miracle. When you read the story, you know that Martha sent word to Jesus "Lord, the one you love is sick." (John 11:3). We know Jesus received the message, "Yes when Jesus heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days." (John 11:6) We know that Jesus knew Lazarus was dead before he went back to Judea, "Lazarus is dead" (John 11:14). We know Martha went out to meet Jesus and was distressed that he did not come when he was called "Lord...if you had been here, my brother would not have died." (John 11:21)
Based on just those things, did Jesus fail his friends? Why did he not come when he was called to help those he loved? Well you will probably say no because you know the end of the story. However, in that moment, all Martha knew is Jesus didn't come and her brother was dead.
I know there are many times in our lives when we ask something of God and do not get a response. Does that make you feel like God has abandoned you? That he does not care about your particular problem?
Our human problem is we see things as being about us when in fact, they are not about us at all. How many of us out there are Martha's. Martha, we know from scripture is a very take charge type of person. She is a committee of one. She knows what needs to be done and takes things into her own hands to get them done. We can infer she is the oldest sibling of Mary and Lazarus and seems to have taken care of them. She is successful, for they appear to be well off. Even in her message to Jesus, we know she is succinct and to the point, "Lord, the one you love is sick." She says what she means and means what she says.
Does Martha sound familiar to you? The type of person who tells God their problems, asking for his help, but would like to tell him exactly how to solve the problem. How many times we forget, it is God's will not ours. God works everything for his good, not ours.
Look at the same scripture again. What did Jesus say when he heard of Lazarus' illness, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified thougth it" (John 11:4). We know Jesus loved Martha, Mary and Lazarus (John 11:5), not the kind of love we know but the love of God.
What did Jesus say to the disciples after he told them Lazarus was dead, "and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe." (John 11:15) When Martha met him on the road, she told him she knew she would see her brother in the resurrection of the last day. How did Jesus respond? He said "I am..." the rest of what he says is awesome but I believe the true meaning of it is simple....Jesus says, "I am...Do you believe this?"
We must remember that even though God may not work on our time, the most important thing is his statement..."I am". He is our sovereign Lord, One who is wise and holy beyond our finite understanding...
"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)
Be mindful that it does not say "all things are good". We know they are not. But God will use every circumstance, good or evil, for good. And guess what, it may not be what we had in mind!!!
As you go out and face the day, with whatever struggles you are facing, whatever you have asked God to help you with, remember, his answer may not be what you wanted or expected. However, find great joy in knowing, it is all for the greater good of God and be obedient to his decisions.
"See now that I, I am He,
And there is no god besides Me;
It is I who put to death and give life.
I have wonded and it is I who heal.
And there is no one who can deliver from
My hand."
(Deuteronomy 32:39)
Prayer:
Pray Psalm 118, it is my favorite and helps me remember that with God nothing of this world can hurt me!!
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment