Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit - Peace

Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

John 14:27 (New International Version)
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Philippians 4:6-7 (New International Version)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Hear we are again, asking ourselves the question, what is peace?

There is peace as we know it in the world, our human term for peace and then there is peace in God. They, like joy and happiness, are distinct and different. Peace in a worldly human sense is the absence of conflict. It is dependent on what we have, see or experience. This perception of peace comes when their is no turmoil in our life, when we have completed a big project at work, when we have made enough money to relax and buy the things we want, when there is an end to war.

Then there is peace in the biblical sense. There are two types of peace in the bible. First, making peace with God and then, after we make peace with God, there is the Peace of God. This is the kind of peace that is sustained even during times of conflict or distress. The Peace of God is not dependent on circumstance, it is dependent on what we know to be true ABOUT God.

So, what do we know about God.

First, we know God to be a big, majestic, sovereign God. He is the creator of all things and is all knowing and all powerful. He is the ruler of all things. Second, we know we can trust God fully because of His track record with we humans over time. He has proven over and over and over again how much He loves us and how much He desires a personal relationship with us. Finally, God sent us His only Son to die for our sins so we would have everlasting life with Him. He sent his Holy Spirit to dwell in us as we await His return.

In John 14:27, Jesus himself tells the apostles, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you." Wow, what a gift. And as if that wasn't enough, consider the things Jesus tells the disciples on that night leading up to this gift of peace.

John 14:1 - "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
John 14: 3 - "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
John 14: 6 - "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
John 14: 9 - "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
John 14:12 - "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father"
John 14:13 - "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."

Don't you know the disciples were feeling anxious on this night, Jesus telling them He would have to leave them alone. Do you feel like that at times. However, Jesus, through His words was reassuring them and telling them not to be afraid but have the peace of knowing I am God and we will not leave you. We will be with you always, trust in us.

The Old Testament refer to the coming of Jesus as the coming of Peace to the world. The angels proclaimed this as well. Through God's gift to us in Jesus, we were granted the knowledge that if we trust completely in Him, nothing can harm us. He brought us PEACE!!

So, if we aren't experiencing the true PEACE of God, what can we do to get that peace?

1. Again, you need to know the God of Peace. If you haven't already you need to make peace with God and get to know Him. As big as God is, isn't it wonderful that he desires a personal relationship with each and every one of us. Through that relationship, we begin to grow the fruit of the spirit and "the peace that surpasses all understanding" is granted to us!!

Galatians 3:16-19 - I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

2. You need to trust fully in the God of Peace. He has never given us any reason to doubt Him or shown us anything but boundless love and compassion. We need to trust Him as our parent and find peace in knowing He will take care of us always.

Isaiah 26:3-4 (New International Version)
You will keep in perfect peace
him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the LORD forever,
for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

3. Enjoy the God of Peace. Rejoice and be glad in the Lord. Experience life to the fullest knowing that whatever comes your way, God will see you through. His peace will give you the freedom to live life as God intended...have fun.

John 10:10 - I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Prayer:
Lord, again thank You for filling me with Your Holy Spirit so that I may experience the true fruit of the Spirit. In that fruit, I have found a peace which surpasses all understanding, a peace that boroughs deep in my soul, for I know You will protect me at all times and against everything this world can throw at me. Your gifts are amazing, thank You for blessing me. Let me live in Your peace and let me help others to know and find Your peace as well. In Jesus Name we pray, AMEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment