Friday, March 26, 2010

Great Faith

""And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6

My journey to release worry and anxiety has been truly tested. As I have found out, when we try to obtain a better understanding of God, the devil works hard to interfere with our quest. I have been dealt a few things in the past few weeks which have pushed me to the edge and I have been fighting very, very, very hard to remain committed to releasing it to God. Praying for guidance.

And my faithful, merciful and loving God has answered, as He always does. He has spoken to me through His word. Brought it right to me, a mirror reflecting back the message He wants me to hear. The key to releasing the worry and anxiety is having GREAT FAITH.

First, He brought me to the lesson in Numbers 13 and 14. If you don't recall the story, I would suggest you stop and read it now. God has brought the Israelites out of Egypt, parted the Red Sea, sustained them through the desert and brought them right to the border of the promised land. God directed Moses to send spies into the land, which he did. The spies came back and advised it was indeed a land of milk and honey as promised but there was no way they could take the land because it was inhabited by giants and people of great strenght. They spread this bad news to all the people.

The Israelites, instead of relying on their faith in a God who had seen them through their flight from Egypt and through the desert. A God who was constantly visible to them as a pillar of cloud and fire. A God who had proven His majesty and faithfulness in countless miracles. Their faith was not strong enough to believe He could deliver the land He promised.

In His wrath, God would not allow them to enter the promised land. In fact, He would have struck them all dead had Moses not intervened. God said to them "Your children will be shepherds here for forty years, suffering for your unfaithfulness, until the last of your bodies lies in the desert."

At first I read that story and though, what a bunch of daft folks. How could they doubt the God who had brought them so far. How could they not know he would deliver on what He promised. Then the light bulb went off...."you daft girl, you are doing the same thing. You worry, you doubt God will bring you out of this!".

After that realization, I was brought back to Hebrews 11, which begins, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." This chapter shows all of God's most faithful. How they persevered in their faith and how they were rewarded for remaining faithful to God.

If you research references to God's commands for us not to worry or be anxious but to be strong and courageous, you will find it is the most repeated command in the scriptures. Why do you suppose that is?

God knows how hard our life here on earth is....Jesus certainly knows it first hand. He knows we need great faith to remain on the path of righteousness. He has given us abundant examples of that kind of faithfulness. Mentors in our quest for great faith. I bet if you look around your church or community you can find people you know who exhibit this kind of faith. Seek them out, talk to them, understand how they get through the worries of life. God gave us each other for a reason!!

I heard someone the other day wrap this up in a nutshell. They said "fear is the opposite of faith". When I heard her say it, I knew how right she was. Overcoming fear strengthens our faith. As we continue on our journey to be a person of "great faith", fear will release its hold on us. This is my goal. I know I can't do it, but God can. I am asking him to forgive my fear and to fill me to the brim with His spirit, so I too can become a person of GREAT FAITH.

Lastly, I saw these points written out in a blog and found them helpful....

"Great faith isn't given to some and not to others. It is a choice we make to trust and pursue God even when at first there appears to be no response.
* Great faith leads to great undertakings
* Great faith brings about great expectations
* Great faith awakens great earnestness
* Great faith conquers great difficulties
* Great faith achieves great victories"

So, today let us all pray for God to help us be a person of great faith. Let's also pray for everyone who is on this journey with us.....everyone here at A Closer Walk....that God will continue to guide us in His word on our quest.

Peace and love to you all and thank you so much for praying for me....I certainly did feel it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment